- Prospective Students: I am actively looking for highly self-motivated PhD students to work on AIoT systems, with potential HKPF and HKU-PS scholarships. If you are interested, please drop me an email with your CV. Multiple PhD, postdoc, and RA positions are available.
- Presidential Research Assistant Professor (RAP) Scheme: We are also looking for RAP under the University's Presidential RAP Scheme. Feel free to reach out if you are interested.
- Are you still using Wi-Fi for the Internet only? You are missing a lot! Check out our recent article "Wi-Fi Can Do More: Towards Ubiquitous Wireless Sensing" on IEEE Communications Standards Magazine!
- Check out HKU AIoT Lab website for more updates!
- 2022/12, two papers accepted by NSDI'23!
- 2022/09, awarded the Healthy Longevity Catalyst Awards (Hong Kong) (part of the Healthy Longevity Global Competition founded by the U.S. National Academy of Medicine)!
- 2022/08, awarded the NSFC National Excellent Young Scientists Fund (HK&Macau) 2022!
- 2022/07, recognized as one of the HKU Scholars ranked by Clarivate Analytics in the top 1% worldwide in 2022!
- 2022/07, our paper RadioVAD won the Best Paper Award at IASA Workshop@MobiSys'22! Congrats Zahid! Check out our recent work RadioSES as well.
- 2022/06, our research was funded by RGC/ECS!
- 2022/05, invited to serve on the TPC of IEEE ICPADS'22, EAI MobiQuitous'22.
- 2022/03, one paper on 6-DoF drone tracking accepted by ACM MobiSys'22.
- 2022/03, Co-Organizing the first Wireless AI Perception Workshop at CVPR 2022. Stay tuned!
- 2022/02, invited to serve on the TPC of ACM SenSys 2022.
- 2022/01, three papers accepted by IEEE ICASSP 2022.
- 2021/11, two papers on fall detection and driver monitoring accepted by IEEE IoTJ.
- 2021/09, Co-Chairing The 4th International Workshop on Combining Physical and Data-Driven Knowledge in Ubiquitous Computing (CPD) at ACM UbiComp 2021.
- 2021/09, invited to serve on the TPC of ACM/IEEE IoTDI 2022.
- 2021/08, our work on “Universal Virtual Keyboard Using 60 GHz mmWave Radar” won the Best Student Paper Award at IEEE’s 7th World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT 2021)! Congrats Yuqian!
- 2021/08, the extended version of Widar3.0 got accepted by TPAMI!
- 2021/07, our new book Smart Wireless Sensing: From IoT to AIoT is now available online!
- 2021/06, co-organizing a Special Session on "Contactless and Wireless Sensing for Smart Environments" at IEEE ICASSP 2021 with Beibei Wang and Neal Patwari.
- 2021/04, our papers mmHRV on heart rate monitoring and mmWrite on in-air handwriting got accepted by IEEE IOT Journal.
I'm currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science, The University of Hong Kong, where I lead the AIoT Lab. I consult as the Chief Scientist for Origin Wireless Inc., a startup commercializing wireless sensing technologies and winning prestigious awards including the CES Best of Innovation Award. I was an Assistant Research Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park and the Chief Scientist at Origin Wireless, working with Prof. K. J. Ray Liu, after working as a research associate in the Department of Computer Science, Princeton University and the School of Software, Tsinghua University. I received his Ph.D. degree in the Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, under supervision of Prof. Yunhao Liu. During my Ph.D., I was lucky to work with Prof. Mingyan Liu in the Department of EECS, University of Michigan and Prof. Jiannong Cao in the Department of Computing, HKPU. I received my B.E. degree from the School of Software, Tsinghua University.
My research focuses on mobile and ubiquitous computing, centered around the vision of shaping "Wireless AI Perception" via novel sensing technologies to bridge the cyber space and the physical space. Currently, I work on designing novel sensing solutions as well as building commercialized applications for a smarter life. My current research interests include:
- Wireless Sensing and Analytics
- Contactless Healthcare and Eldercare
- Robotic Tracking and Perception
- Automotive In-Cabin Sensing
- Radio-Visual Sensing and Learning
- Audio-Radio Speech Perception
- Federated Learning for IoT
Research ProjectsHighlights on Industrial Impacts:
- + Our sleep monitoring work has been commercialized by Origin Wireless as Origin Health - Remote Patient Monitoring, which won the CES 2021 Best of Innovation Award!
- + Our works on wireless indoor tracking, gait recognition, fall detection are being commercialized by Origin Wireless Inc. Stay tuned!
- + Authored 40+ US/international patents and 20+ China patents.
Selected PublicationsFor a complete list, see HERE or my Google Scholar Profile. According to Google Scholar, my papers have more than 5,400 citations, with an h-index of 32.
- Smart Wireless Sensing: From IoT to AIoT Zheng Yang, Kun Qian, Chenshu Wu, Yi Zhang Springer, 2021. ISBN: 978-981-16-5658-3. [Front Matter] [Read Online]
- Wireless Indoor Localization: A Crowdsourcing Approach Chenshu Wu, Zheng Yang, Yunhao Liu Springer, 2018. ISBN: 978-981-13-0355-5. [Book Flyer] [Read Online]
- Location-based Computing: Localization and Localizability of Wireless Networks (位置计算：无线网络定位与可定位性) Zheng Yang, Chenshu Wu, Yunhao Liu Tsinghua University Press, Jan. 2014. ISBN: 978-7-302-35113-9 Excellent Academic Monograph (Second Class) of Chinese University Press Book Award (获第四届中国大学出版社图书奖优秀学术著作二等奖)
Honors and Awards
- 2022, NSFC National Excellent Young Scientists Fund (HK&Macau) (國家優秀青年科學家基金項目（港澳）)
- 2022, Best Paper Award, ACM IASA 2022
- 2021, Best Student Paper Award, IEEE WF-IoT 2021
- 2019, Postdoc Research Symposium Winner (#1 in Engineering School), University of Maryland
- 2017, Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, ACM CHI 2017
- 2017, Best Paper Award of the Year 2016, Tsinghua Science and Technology
- 2016, China Computer Federation (CCF) Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award (中国计算机学会优秀博士学位论文奖)
- 2015, The Committee of 100's Leadership Scholarship Program Award
- 2015, Excellent PhD Graduate of Beijing
- 2015, Excellent PhD Graduate of Tsinghua University
- 2015, Excellent Doctoral Dissertation, Tsinghua University (rank 1st in Dept. of CS)
- 2015, Academic Rising Star of Tsinghua University (清华大学学术新秀) (10 graduates per year)
- 2014, Tsinghua Top Grade Scholarship (清华大学特等奖学金) (10 graduates per year)
- 2014, Best Paper Candidate Award, IEEE ICPADS 2014
- 2012, 2013, 2014, National Graduate Scholarship
- 2013, Tsinghua Lin Feng Counsellor Prize (清华大学林枫辅导员奖)
- "Wireless AI for the Internet of Things'', HKU-ISCAS 2021 Launching Seminar and Workshop, 2021/09 (virtual)
- "Wireless AI: WiFi Sensing from Principles to Products'', Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2021/08 (virtual)
- "Artificial Intelligence of Things (AIoT) From 0 To 1'', Keynote Speech at Shenzhen XInstitute summer school, 2021/07 (virtual)
- "Wireless AI: WiFi Sensing from Principles to Products'', IEEE Washington Tech Talk Series, 2021/04 (virtual)
- "Wireless AI: WiFi Sensing from Principles to Products'', Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2021/04 (virtual)
- "Wireless AI: WiFi Sensing from Principles to Products'', Tsinghua University, 2021/04 (virtual)
- "Wireless AI for the Internet of Things'', IEEE Signal Processing Washington Chapter Seminar, 2020/12 (virtual)
- "Large-Scale Decimeter-Level Indoor Tracking with a Single AP'', West Anhui University, Lu'an, China, 2020/12 (virtual)
- "Precise Passive Tracking with COTS WiFi", The George Washington University, DC, USA, May 23, 2018
- "WiFi Radar: Wireless Sensing with Commodity WiFi", University of Maryland, College Park, MD, USA, October 31, 2017
- "Sensorless Sensing with WiFi", Nanjing University, Nanjing, China, December 28, 2016
- “Sensorless Sensing Plus”, Wuxi IoT Center, China, December 2016
- “Wireless, Contactless, Sensorless Sensing”, Yanshan University, Qinhuangdao, China, December 2015
- “Wireless, Contactless, Sensorless Sensing”, Wuxi IoT Center, China, December 2015
- “Wireless Indoor Localization via Crowdsourcing”, West Anhui University, Lu’an, China, October 2015
- “Re-imaging Mobile Sensing: Myths, Challenges, and Opportunities”, Wuxi IoT Center, China, December 2014
- “Wireless Indoor Localization for Smartphones”, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China, August 2013
- PI: Wireless Contactless Sensing for Industrial Internet, NSF China General Program (国家自然科学基金面上项目).
- Co-PI: Research on the Architecture and Key Technologies for Industrial Internet, NSF China Key Program（国家自然科学基金重点项目).
- PI: Research on Sensorless Sensing with Wireless Signals, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (中国博士后科学基金面上资助).
- PI: Decimeter-Level Tracking using WiFi Signals, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Special Program (中国博士后科学基金特别资助).
- PI: Passive Human Detection using Wireless Channel State Information, Open Program of Jiangsu High Technology Research Key Laboratory for Wireless Sensor Networks (江苏省无线传感网高技术研究重点实验室开放课题).
- - Associate Editor, IEEE ACCESS, 2020-2022
- - Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Resource Management at the Edge for Future Web, Mobile and IoT Applications”, World Wide Web Journal, 2021
- - Guest Editor, Special Issue on "Cloud Computing-based Big Data Processing and Intelligent Analytics", Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, November 2019. Conference and Workshop Organizer for
- - Co-Organizer, Wireless AI Perception Workshop at CVPR 2022
- - General Co-Chair, ACM Ubicomp Workshop on Combining Physical and Data-Driven Knowledge in Ubiquitous Computing (CPD), 2021
- - Publicity Co-Chair, ACM SIGOPS Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APSys), 2021
- - Special Session Organizer on “Contactless and Wireless Sensing for Smart Environments”, IEEE ICASSP, 2021 Technical Program Committee Member for
- - ACM SenSys, Boston, US, 2022
- - EAI MobiQuitous, Pittsburgh, US, 2022
- - IEEE ICPADS, Nanjing, China, 2022
- - ACM/IEEE IoTDI, Milan, Italy, 2022
- - IEEE TrustCom, Guangzhou, China, 2020
- - IEEE MIPR, Shenzhen, China, 2020
- - IEEE DySPAN, Newark, NJ, USA, 2019
- - IEEE MIPR, San Jose, USA, 2019
- - IEEE ICPADS, Tianjin, China, 2019
- - IEEE UIC, Guangzhou, China, 2018
- - ICCCN, Hangzhou, China, 2018
- - IEEE ICDCS, Atlanta, USA, 2017
- - IEEE UIC, San Francisco, USA, 2017
- - IEEE INFOCOM, Atlanta, USA, 2017
- - IEEE UIC, Toulouse France, 2016 Journal Reviewers for
- 1) IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON); 2) IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC); 3) PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT/UbiComp); 4) IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS); 5) IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC); 6) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (TWC); 7) IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (TSP); 8) ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN); 9) ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST); 10) IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT); 11) IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IOTJ); 12) IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (JBHI); 13) IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (TIE); 14) IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (TASE); 15) IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (TNSE); 16) IEEE Systems Journal; 17) IEEE Computer Magazine; 18) IEEE Communications Letters; 19) IEEE Access; 20) Elsevier Computer Networks; 21) Elsevier Computer Communications; 22) Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing; 23) Springer Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST); 24) ACM Transactions on Internet of Things (TIoT).