- 2020/12, our research has been commercialized by Origin Wireless as Origin Health - Remote Patient Monitoring which won the CES 2021 Best of Innovation Award, and HEX Home for home security which won the CES 2021 Innovation Award!
- 2020/12, LinkSys Aware, a motion sensing product of Belkin enabled by our wireless AI technology, was named one of the most important security innovations of 2020 by Popular Science!
- 2020/11, our paper mmEye on super-resolution imaging got accepted by IEEE IOT Journal.
- 2020/07, our paper mSense on mobile material sensing got accepted by IMWUT/UbiComp'20.
- 2020/06, our paper on hidden screen-camera communication got accepted by NSDI'21.
- 2020/02, our work GaitWay on through-the-wall gait recognition using WiFi got accepted by IEEE TMC.
- 2020/02, three papers on stride length estimation, mmWave handwriting, and people counting got accepted by IEEE 6th World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IOT 2020).
- 2020/01, invited to serve on the TPC of IEEE TrustCom 2020.
- 2020/01, three papers on fall detection, vital sign monitoring, and indoor heading direction finding got accepted by IEEE ICASSP 2020.
- 2019/12, our work mmTrack on multi-person passive tracking using commercial 60GHz WiFi got accepted by IEEE INFOCOM 2020. As far as we are aware of, this is the first work that reports precise CIR by reusing a COTS 60GHz WiFi chip as a mmWave radar.
- 2019/12, our work EasiTrack on accurate, easy-to-deploy, and scalable indoor tracking got accepted by IEEE IOT Journal (IF 9.5).
- 2019/10, LinkSys Aware, the first-of-its-kind motion sensing in mesh WiFi enabled by our technology, has been released by Belkin, in partnership with Origin Wireless! Read more here LinkSys Aware and Origin Wireless.
- 2019/09, check out our latest work "SMARS: Sleep Monitoring via Ambient Radio Signal" to appear in IEEE TMC. Contactless sleep staging now becomes easy and practical with commercial WiFi!
- 2019/06, our work WiDetect and iVR got accepted by ACM UbiComp 2019.
- 2019/05, our paper "RF-based inertial measurement" got accepted by ACM SIGCOMM 2019! Check it out here!
- 2019/05, invited to serve on the TPC of IEEE DySPAN 2019.
- 2019/03, our paper Widar3.0 was accepted by ACM MobiSys 2019.
- More news...
Chenshu Wu is currently an Assistant Research Scientist in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, working with Prof. K. J. Ray Liu. He is also the Chief Scientist at Origin Wireless Inc., commercializing wireless sensing and indoor tracking products. Prior to that, he worked as a research associate in the Department of Computer Science, Princeton University and the School of Software, Tsinghua University. He received his Ph.D in 2015 in the Department of Computer Science and Technology, Tsinghua University, under supervision of Prof. Yunhao Liu. He was a Research Scholar in the Dept. of EECS, University of Michigan in 2014, advised by Prof. Mingyan Liu, and was a Research Assistant in Dept. of Computing, HKPU in 2013, advised by Prof. Jiannong Cao. He received his B.E. in 2010 in Computer Science from School of Software, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
My research focuses on mobile and ubiquitous computing, centered around the vision of shaping "Wireless AI" via novel sensing technologies for smart space. Currently, I work on designing novel localization and sensing solutions as well as building commercialized applications for a smarter life. My recent research topics include:
- Wireless Sensing and Analytics using RF signals
- Wireless Healthcare
- Accurate Indoor Tracking Made Easy and Scalable
- Hidden Screen-Camera Communication
Research ProjectsHighlights on Industrial Impacts:
- + Our motion sensing technology has been commercialized by Origin Wireless Inc. and, in partnership with Belkin, has been deployed over 150 countries worldwide as LinkSys Aware, the first-of-its-kind motion sensing in mesh WiFi for home security.
- Awards won by LinkSys Aware: CES 2020 Innovation Award, Best in Session 2020 by M3, Best of CES 2020 by Newsweek.
- Press Coverage: LinkSys Aware, WiFi Now, The Very Best Gadgets at CES 2020, PR Newswire, LinkSys, 9TO5Mac, engadget, Origin Wireless.
- + Our works on wireless indoor tracking, contactless sleep monitoring, fall detection are being commercialized by Origin Wireless Inc. Stay tuned!
- + Authored 20+ US/international patents and 20+ China patents.
Selected PublicationsFor a complete list, see HERE or my Google Scholar Profile. According to Google Scholar, my papers have more than 4000 citations, with an h-index of 29.
- Wireless Indoor Localization: A Crowdsourcing Approach Chenshu Wu, Zheng Yang, Yunhao Liu Springer, 2018. ISBN: 978-981-13-0355-5. [Book Flyer] [Read Online]
- Location-based Computing: Localization and Localizability of Wireless Networks (位置计算：无线网络定位与可定位性) Zheng Yang, Chenshu Wu, Yunhao Liu Tsinghua University Press, Jan. 2014. ISBN: 978-7-302-35113-9 Excellent Academic Monograph (Second Class) of Chinese University Press Book Award (获第四届中国大学出版社图书奖优秀学术著作二等奖)
Honors and Awards
- 2020, Postdoc Conference Support Award, University of Maryland
- 2019, Postdoc Research Symposium Winner (#1 in Engineering School), University of Maryland
- 2017, Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, ACM CHI 2017
- 2017, Best Paper Award of the Year 2016, Tsinghua Science and Technology
- 2016, China Computer Federation (CCF) Excellent Doctoral Dissertation Award (中国计算机学会优秀博士学位论文奖)
- 2015, The Committee of 100's Leadership Scholarship Program Award
- 2015, Excellent PhD Graduate of Beijing
- 2015, Excellent PhD Graduate of Tsinghua University
- 2015, Excellent Doctoral Dissertation, Tsinghua University (rank 1st in Dept. of CS)
- 2015, Academic Rising Star of Tsinghua University (清华大学学术新秀) (10 graduates per year)
- 2014, Tsinghua Top Grade Scholarship (清华大学特等奖学金) (10 graduates per year)
- 2014, Best Paper Candidate Award, IEEE ICPADS 2014
- 2012, 2013, 2014, National Graduate Scholarship
- 2013, Tsinghua Lin Feng Counsellor Prize (清华大学林枫辅导员奖)
- 2012, Schlumberger Scholarship
- PI: Wireless Contactless Sensing for Industrial Internet, NSF China General Program (国家自然科学基金面上项目).
- Co-PI: Research on the Architecture and Key Technologies for Industrial Internet, NSF China Key Program（国家自然科学基金重点项目.
- PI: Research on Sensorless Sensing with Wireless Signals, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (中国博士后科学基金面上资助).
- PI: Decimeter-Level Tracking using WiFi Signals, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Special Program (中国博士后科学基金特别资助).
- PI: Passive Human Detection using Wireless Channel State Information, Open Program of Jiangsu High Technology Research Key Laboratory for Wireless Sensor Networks (江苏省无线传感网高技术研究重点实验室开放课题).
- - Associate Editor, IEEE ACCESS, 2020 - present
- - Guest Editor, Special Issue on "Cloud Computing-based Big Data Processing and Intelligent Analytics", Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, November 2019. Technical Program Committee Member for
- - IEEE TrustCom, Guangzhou, China, 2020
- - IEEE DySPAN, Newark, NJ, USA, 2019
- - IEEE ICPADS, Tianjin, China, 2019
- - IEEE MIPR, San Jose, USA, 2019
- - IEEE UIC, Guangzhou, China, 2018
- - ICCCN, Hangzhou, China, 2018
- - IEEE ICDCS, Atlanta, USA, 2017
- - IEEE UIC, San Francisco, USA, 2017
- - IEEE INFOCOM, Atlanta, USA, 2017
- - IEEE UIC, Toulouse France, 2016
- - 7th International Doctoral Forum, Xi'an, China, 2014
- - 12th/13th Tsinghua Doctoral Forum on Computer Science, 2013/2014 Conference and Workshop Organizer for
- - Special Session Organizer on “Contactless and Wireless Sensing for Smart Environments”, IEEE ICASSP, 2021
- - Panel Co-chair for the 11th ACM International Workshop on IoT and Cloud Computing
- - PC Co-chair for the 10th ACM International Workshop on IoT and Cloud Computing
- - Poster Co-chair for the 9th ACM International Workshop on IoT and Cloud Computing
- - PC Co-chair the 8th International Workshop on IoT and Cloud Computing Journal Reviewers for
- 1) IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON); 2) IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC); 3) PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT/UbiComp); 4) IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS); 5) IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC); 6) IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications (TWC); 7) IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (TSP); 8) ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks (TOSN); 9) ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST); 10) IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology (TVT); 11) IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IOTJ); 12) IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics (JBHI); 13) IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics (TIE); 14) IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering (TASE); 15) IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (TNSE); 16) IEEE Systems Journal; 17) IEEE Computer Magazine; 18) IEEE Communications Letters; 19) IEEE Access; 20) Elsevier Computer Networks; 21) Elsevier Computer Communications; 22) Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing; 23) Springer Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST); 24) ACM Transactions on Internet of Things (TIoT).